cast iron · cast iron table base · Cast Iron Table Legs · diy table · how to make your own river table · kitchen table · live edge table · mill · river table · slab · wood · woodworking ·
How to make your own river table
A river table is a unique type of table that features a 'river' or channel that runs down the center of the table, and is filled with colored epoxy resin. To make a river table, you will need the following materials and tools:
- Two pieces of wood slabs
- Epoxy resin
- Table legs
- Rubber gloves
- Plastic mixing cups
- Stirring sticks
- Heat gun
Here are the general steps involved in making a river table:
1. Choose two wood slabs that have a natural gap or separation between them. You can also create a gap by cutting out a section of wood from between two slabs.
2. Flatten the wood slabs using a planer or sander until they are level and uniform. Sand the wood to a smooth finish with progressively finer grits of sandpaper.
3. Use a router or other suitable tool to carve a channel in the center of the wood slabs where you want the river to flow. You can create any shape or depth you want.
4. Smooth and sand the channel thoroughly, removing any wood chips or splinters.
5. Clean the wood slabs and channel to remove any dust or debris.
6. Mix the epoxy resin according to the manufacturer's instructions, adding pigment if desired. Glass can be used too.
7. Pour the resin into the channel, filling it completely. Use a heat gun or torch to remove any air bubbles and ensure the resin fills every nook and cranny of the channel.
8. Allow the resin to cure according to the manufacturer's instructions. This may take several hours or overnight.
9. Sand the cured resin to a smooth finish using progressively finer grits of sandpaper. Wipe the table clean.
10. Attach Drake Casting table legs to the wood slabs using screws or other fasteners. This particular base can be found on the website Drakecastingco.com under catalog, then dining table legs. Other options are there as well.
A river table is a unique and eye-catching piece of furniture that can be customized in countless ways. With the right tools and materials, anyone can create their own beautiful river table.
Leave a comment